The following is a soothing herbal soak I created recently. It aims to relieve sore muscles and relax the body (and mind).
This DIY bath soak recipe uses dead sea salts and Epsom salts, both containing high levels of magnesium. The magnesium in the salts is a great way to relax the body. Bathing in these salts is also an excellent method for increasing magnesium intake as the skin absorbs the magnesium while you soak.
Magnesium is also useful in treating insomnia, anxiety, back pain, and stress.
Lavender and chamomile are also included. These add a lovely herbal scent and infuse the water with soothing and healing properties. The heat of the bath helps these oils diffuse into the air, making this a rich aromatherapy-type experience.
The following ingredients work together to deliver this little relaxing package:
- Dead Sea salt (where to buy) – 2 cups – Can also be used to make magnesium lotion
- Epsom Salt (where to buy) – 2 cups
- Dried Lavender Buds (where to buy) – 1/2 cup
- Dried Chamomile Flowers (where to buy) – 1/2 cup
- Lavender essential oil (purchase here or here) – 10 drops
- Coconut oil (where to buy – best price I’ve found) – 1 tablespoon
- Muslin tea bag, wash cloth, or pie of cotton fabric (to hold the ingredients for the soak in the bath)
Method for creating an herbal bath soak:
Place the salts and herbs into a large bowl. Stir to combine.
Place the coconut oil in a small cup and drip the lavender essential oil over the top. Stir to distribute evenly. (This is done to dilute the essential oil and help it distribute evenly throughout the salts and also in the bath water.)
Add the coconut oil/lavender mix to the salts and mix until well blended.
Add four tablespoons of this mixture to a muslin tea bag and place in a warm bath.
Soak for 10 to 20 minutes.
Add remaining soak to a container and store for up to 6 months.
Latest posts by Stacy Karen (see all)
- Drink Comforting Dandelion Tea for Awesome Health Benefits - October 20, 2016
- 12 Fall Cleaning Hacks & How to Get a Free Fall Cleaning Kit - October 18, 2016
- Why I order Cleaners, Toothbrushes, and Razors through the Mail - September 25, 2016