This is the second installment in the natural body care ingredient series. This series is designed to educate you on the different products you might wish to have on hand in order to create natural body care at home. Last time we discussed beeswax.
Today I'd like to share a little about cocoa butter.
Cocoa butter is one of my favorite ingredients (mostly because it smells wonderful!). Cocoa butter has a chocolate scent (but it's not overpowering). It can, however, be purchased with the odor removed, if desired.
Cocoa Butter is derived from the oils of the cocoa bean which comes from the cacao tree. It’s a slightly aromatic oil that smells similar to chocolate. It is an edible oil, but also used in many natural body care products.
Cocoa butter is one of the hardest butters available and is often used to give lotions, butters, balms, and salves a thicker consistency.
While cocoa butter is very hard, it's melting point is low, which means it melts with the warmth of the skin.
Cocoa butter is an excellent moisturizer and is suitable for many people with sensitive skin. It works especially well for those with dry skin because of it's emollient nature.
Cocoa butter has a long shelf life of about 3 or 4 years.
Uses for Cocoa Butter
- Prevents Skin Dryness and Peeling
- Lip Balm
- Anti-Aging lotions & Serums
- Skin Soother for burns, sunburns, rashes, and infections.
- As a moisturizer for mouth or gum sores
- Makes a good natural shaving cream
- As an anti-inflammatory for achy muscles
I personally use cocoa butter frequently to make lotion bars and lip balm.
I also add a few shavings to sugar scrubs from time to time.
Cocoa butter pairs well with vanilla or peppermint scents. It truly is delightful!
It should be noted that someone with chocolate/cocoa allergies should avoid products that contain cocoa butter because it is derived from the same plant as chocolate and therefore may cause an allergic reaction.
Do you use cocoa butter? If so, tell us how!
Latest posts by Stacy Karen (see all)
- Natural Non-Toxic Shampoo and Conditioners - February 10, 2018
- My Experience with Morrocco Method Mist Conditioner and Moisturizer - February 6, 2018
- Make 10 Natural DIY Beauty Products in an Hour - February 2, 2018