Frankincense Oil, or Olibanum (from the Hebrew) is one of those oils that has been used for thousands of years. It was used in Egypt, Greece, and France, by the Hebrews, the Anglo-Saxons, and even the Chinese.
This post may contain affiliate links to products which may be purchased at 3rd party sites and may result in paid compensation to this blogger.
Frankincense Essential Oil is a superstar when it comes to skincare
It has a light woodsy aroma and is known to be anti-inflammatory as well as antibacterial. It’s also thought to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and scars. Frankincense essential oil blends well with many other oils, such as orange, lavender, neroli, and lemon. It’s a lovely addition to sugar scrubs or lotions. Frankincense is often used in face wash and moisturizers to help even skin tone and calm acne.
Most significantly frankincense is mentioned as one of the gifts offered to Jesus by the wise men after his birth. It is also found in several of the Old Testament books, including Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers and was utilized (as instructed) in Hebrew worship upon the altar of incense, and as an accompaniment to the grain offering. It was also utilized in households as can be seen in the book of Song of Solomon.
It is made from the resin of the genustrees, either the Boswellia carterii or Boswellia sacara tree that’s commonly grown in regions in Africa and Arabia such as Yemen, Oman, Somalia, and Ethiopia. The resin can be burned as incense or oil can be derived from the resin.
I am not a certified nutritionist, herbalist, counselor or doctor. Information shared on this website is from my own research and opinion. This is for informational and entertainment purposes only. Please conduct your own research as I cannot be held accountable for any undesirable outcome.
NOTE: Frankincense essential oil is fairly expensive, but it's on sale for 40% off today only at Rocky Mountain Oils!
Benefits of Frankincense Oil
This fragrant resin or oil has many benefits and has been referred to as the King of Oils. Frankincense oils are easy to use, with no known side effects. They can be utilized directly on the skin, through aromatherapy and even ingested in small quantities.
- Reduces joint pain
- Boosts the immune system
- Promotes cellular health
- Can relieve congestion in bronchial airways
- Oral Antiseptic
- Relieves Indigestion
- Aids in digestion and can relieve constipation, colitis and Chrohn's
- Hormonal balance of estrogen, and can aid in balancing menstrual cycles. Should not be used by pregnant or nursing mothers.
- Eases PMS Symptoms
I love Frankincense oil From Rocky Mountain Oils!
Skin & Body Care
- Aids in wound care to stop bleeding and promote clotting
- Calming and soothing to the skin
- Reduces the appearance of scars and stretch marks
- Can be used as an astringent for acne
- Tightens skin and helps prevent wrinkles
- Stress Reliever
- Sleep Aid
The multipurpose frankincense oil can be used in household cleansers due to it's antiseptic qualities.
There are benefits to using this oil topically, by inhaling from a diffuser, or in small quantities through ingestion. It is safe to apply directly to the skin, although as with any oil, you should test in small amounts first. If ingesting it is recommended to use 1 or 2 small drops mixed with an edible carrier, such as olive oil or honey.
Other carrier oils that pair well with frankincense oil include: patchouli, rosemary, clary sage, citrus, basil, avocado or sweet almond.
Recipes that use Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense Oil for the HomE
- Cleansing Spray for Surfaces @ The Herbs Place
- Frankincense Toilet Spray @ Sally's Organics
- Holiday Room Spray – doTerra Blog
- Natural Lemon Lavender Frankincense All Purpose Cleaner @ Jogger's Life
- Essential Oil Cleaning Recipes – Linen Spray @ The Prairie Homestead
Frankincense Oil for the Body
- Delightful Frankincense & Wild Orange Sugar Scrub @ More Than Mundane
- DIY All-Natural Face Oil for Acne-prone & Oily Skin @ Body Unburned
- DIY Calming & Detoxifying Bath Salts @ Recipes to Nourish
- DIY Facial Serum @ The Paleo Mama
- DIY Frankincense Face Cleanser @ The House of Plaid Fuzz
- DIY Herbal Healing Balm @ Learning and Yearning
- Frankincense & Cinnamon Winter Balm @ Teacups & Pearls
- Frankincense & Orange Whipped Body Butter @ Food, Fun, Family
- Hand Soap – Tried & True Essential Oil Recipes @ My Blue Daisy
- Natural Skin Care Made Easy @ Recipes to Nourish
- Oil Cleansing Gentle & Safe Skin Care @ Modern Alternative Health
- Pretty Legs Cream @ Sweet Simple Living.com
- So Simple Spray Deodorant @ Jenni Raincloud
- Wrinkle Reducing Face Cream @ Organic RN
Healthy Remedies with Frankincense Oil
- Acid Reflux Rub @ The Herbal Homestead
- DIY Headache Helper Roll-On @ Simply Stacie
- Frankincense & Ginger Inflammation Reduction @ Home Cures that Work
- Homemade Cough Syrup @ Pinterest saved from Young Living.com
- Itch Be Gone Recipe @ Nourishing Treasures
Anti-Aging Facial Serum
This nourishing facial serum includes Frankincense, along with other skin enhancing essential oils, to create a wonderfully soothing, anti-aging moisturizer.
- 1 ounce oil (such as sweet almond, jojoba, apricot kernel, avocado, or olive oil)
- 2 drops of lavender essential oil
- 2 drops frankincense essential oil
- 2 drops rose otto essential oil
- 2 drops helichrysum essential oil
- 2 drops carrot seed essential oil
Mix all of this in a glass dropper bottle. Gently massage 2-3 drops of serum on your face each time you moisturize.
More Tips for Using Frankincense Essential Oils
- Visit Using EO's Safely for even more information on how to use frankincense oil safely.
- For other great tips on how to incorporate frankincense essential oil into your life, Little Blog on the Homestead's frankincense post.
What about you? Have you discovered the benefits of using frankincense oil in your life? What are some of your favorite ways to utilize this ancient essential oil? Share your tips, ideas and remedies in the comment section below.
You May Also Enjoy
Latest posts by Renee (see all)
- Would You Like to Win a Set of Rocky Mountain Oils Kids Line - September 28, 2016
- 10 Healthy Body Natural Skincare Recipes Round-Up - August 10, 2016
- 25+ of the Best Healthy Summer Salad Recipes - July 14, 2016