Making lip balm is quick and easy when you know how. It’s a useful and enjoyable gift.
I hope this tutorial will encourage you to try making some of your own!
This recipe was created to make a fairly solid balm, more like a chapstick. I wanted something that could be kept in my pocket without melting! It is easily adapted to make a softer or firmer balm. Increase the oil to make it soft (but be sure to put in a small pot as it won’t work in a tube), add extra beeswax to make it more firm.
Here is a quick video tutorial that demonstrates how simple it is to make lip balm (further instructions follow):
Quick and Easy Lip Balm Recipe
Makes 8 to 10 tubes.
2 tablespoons beeswax, grated (or use pastilles)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon sweet almond oil
1 tablespoon cocoa butter
15 drops essential oil (optional) – I used sweet orange essential oil in mine.
Note: Keeping the above ingredients on hand will allow you to make all kinds of body care products. Many of the recipes I use include most, if not all of these ingredients; Simple Lavender Salve and Belly Butter for the Pregnant Mama for example.
1. Measure all ingredients into a glass measuring cup.
2. Place cup into a small saucepan. Add a few inches of water to the pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir occasionally until ingredients have melted.
3. Add essential/flavoring oil, if using. Stir well.
4. Pour carefully into tubes straight from the measuring glass (be sure the handle is not hot). Or, use a medicine dropper.
The balm will shrink as it cools and hardens, so fill as high as possible. You may want to use the medicine dropper to top off each tube.
Let cool completely before covering with cap (about 10 minutes).
Voilà! Your very own homemade lip balm!
Extra Notes: If using a medicine dropper, use one that you are willing to throw away or keep for making things such as this. It is very difficult to clean!
You may also use a double boiler or a crockpot to make this recipe. The same principles apply: measure ingredients, melt over low heat, pour into containers.
Want to Create your own handmade products?
Check out the Hand Made Masterclass!
- make your own nourishing soaps with natural colorants
- beeswax candles in Mason jars
- herbal infused body butters and moisturizers
- create your own customized tinted lip balms and lipsticks
You’ll also get:
- countdown calendar to Christmas to help you plan out your handmade gifts
- tried and true recipes for making your own handmade natural products
Each project is broken down in the amount of hands on time, cost per item, how long until you can use the item, and so much more!
The class includes 8 lessons and video tutorials, plus a bonus lesson on how to make herbal salves and ointments.
**If that’s not all, you’ll also get a physical paperback copy of _Hand Made: the Modern Guide to Made-from-Scratch Living._*
It’s really the hand made jackpot!!