Rose water can be made in a variety of ways, some more complicated than others. Traditionally, rose water is made by distilling fresh rose petals with water. This can be done with a double-boiler at home. While it is not extremely difficult, it is somewhat time consuming (and perhaps a little intimidating).
Because we like to keep things simple around here, I am going to show you the easiest methods of creating rose water.
Before we get into the details, let’s take a moment to consider why we might want to make rose water and how to use it.
Uses for Rose Water:
- add fragrance to homemade cosmetics
- use an an astringent for normal to dry skin
- add to the bath to provide a soothing aroma
- include as part of a shampoo or hair rinse
- use in facial scrubs and masks
- spray over bed sheets for a lovely scent
How to Make Rose Water
You will need:
1. Place rose petals in a jar. You will need about 1 cup of rose petals, less if using dried roses. (This does not need to be exact.)
2. Mix water and witch hazel and pour over the rose petals.
3. Be sure the flowers are covered by an extra 2 inches of liquid.
4. Cover with lid and place in a warm area out of direct sunlight.
5. Leave to it for 2 weeks.
6. Strain out the flowers and pour rose water into a clean jar or bottle. Label. Store in a cool place.
You will need:
Glass jar (large, wide-mouth canning jar)
Rose petals, dried – 1/4 cup (where to buy)
Distilled water – 1-1/4 cups (heated until hot, not boiling)
1. Place dried roses in a heat proof jar and pour hot water over the top.
2. Let sit until cool.
4. Strain out the roses and store in the fridge.
This rose water won’t last as long as the one made via the first method because it does not contain witch hazel.
Note: When making rose water, be sure to use roses that have not been sprayed with insecticides.
This post contains affiliate links.
Latest posts by Stacy Karen (see all)
- Improve Digestion and Reduce Bloating After a Meal - December 11, 2017
- DIY Cinnamon Spice Body Scrub - November 30, 2017
- Primally Pure Review – Effective Natural Skincare - November 30, 2017