I love body butter and this shea body butter is a favorite!
There’s something about the way it melts into my skin that makes me feel amazing all day. Since eczema is a common issue in our household, I started making a body butter that didn’t have any artificial scents or ingredients that could exacerbate our already sensitive skin.
This post contains affiliate links to 3rd party sites where products purchased may result in paid compensation for this blogger.
Shea body butter is my favorite follow up to shaving in the summer and my favorite treatment for cracked and dry hands in the winter. Even better, shea body butter is crazy-easy to make! If you can melt chocolate, you can make shea body butter.
I use raw, unrefined, organic Shea Butter as the primary base in this shea body butter recipe. There’s a slew of reasons why Shea Butter is good for your skin: It’s high in antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory properties, and is super-nourishing and moisturizing. It is also easy to find on Amazon for $10 to $13 per pound and it NEVER expires. That means I keep some in my fridge all the time just waiting to be put into this luxurious shea body butter.
I also add vitamin E oil, organic coconut oil, and organic grape seed oil to my recipe. Each of these ingredients add a bit more nourishing and healing properties to the body butter.
Shea Body Butter Recipe
- ½ lb raw, unrefined, organic Shea Butter
- 4 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons vitamin E oil (at least 5,000 IU)
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- A few drops of essential oil (optional)
How to make your body butter:
- Put two inches of water in a medium sauce pan and heat over medium heat.
- Put all 4 ingredients into a glass bowl slightly larger than the sauce pan and put on top of sauce pan. (Just like a double boiler.)
- Continue to heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until all of the ingredients have melted into a yellow liquid.
- Place the bowl, uncovered, to cool in the refrigerator.
- Cool until the mixture solidifies. I usually leave it in for 2 hours.
- Once it’s solid, scrape it out of the bowl and put into a mixer. Blend it on high for 2-3 minutes until it reaches a whipped butter consistency.
- Put it into jars and enjoy.
Once it’s finished, I keep it in the refrigerator. It keeps it from getting exposed to heat and melting.
Shea body butter has been a life-saver. I have found a ton of ways to use it.
5 Ways to use DIY Shea Body Butter
- It’s what I use to moisturize skin after bath-time on our younger two children (even when they were babies).
- I use it on dry, cracked hands in the winter time.
- It makes an amazing shave cream when you can’t shave in the shower. You can read about how I shave without water over on my blog.
- Because of Shea Body Butter healing properties, I have used it on scars, cuts, and sunburns.
- I have also used it as a super-conditioning hair mask in the shower.
But no matter how I use it, I am happy to use it because it’s all natural and always leaves my skin feeling amazing.
Have you ever made your own body butter? Did you use it in unique ways?
Want to Create your own handmade products?
Check out the Hand Made Masterclass!
- make your own nourishing soaps with natural colorants
- beeswax candles in Mason jars
- herbal infused body butters and moisturizers
- create your own customized tinted lip balms and lipsticks
You’ll also get:
- countdown calendar to Christmas to help you plan out your handmade gifts
- tried and true recipes for making your own handmade natural products
Each project is broken down in the amount of hands on time, cost per item, how long until you can use the item, and so much more!
The class includes 8 lessons and video tutorials, plus a bonus lesson on how to make herbal salves and ointments.
**If that’s not all, you’ll also get a physical paperback copy of _Hand Made: the Modern Guide to Made-from-Scratch Living._*
It’s really the hand made jackpot!!
Latest posts by Dorothy (see all)
- DIY Luxurious Shea Body Butter - August 18, 2016
- Meadow Tea a Refreshingly Delicious Summer Drink - July 21, 2016
- 10 Creative Ways to Use Mint When you Have an Abundance - June 30, 2016