Today’s post is the final installment in our Embracing Self-Care Series. If you missed a post, you can find them all here. Be sure to check out the links to other’s posts on this topic below.
If you look up the definition of rest on Dictionary.com you’ll find it defined as:
1. the refreshing quiet or repose of sleep: a good night’s rest.
2. refreshing ease or inactivity after exertion or labor: to allow an hour for rest.
3. relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs.
4. a period or interval of inactivity, repose, solitude, or tranquillity: to go away for a rest.
5. mental or spiritual calm; tranquillity.
All good and needful things.
How often do you experince any of these?
Probably not often enough!
It appears that we are getting less and less rest as the human race speeds up and fills each day to the brim. Yet, most of us know that rest helps us be more productive and efficient. Not to mention, happier and more patient.
Our busyness almost seems like panic. We rush, rush, rush, in fear of missing out, not doing enough, or meeting expectations.
But. . .
Finding time for rest can be a battle. A stand-your-ground, force it to happen, kind of thing.
We can only create our own rest (usually). If we wait for someone to give it to us, we might be waiting a long time. And we must find ways to carve out time for rest (even if it is a only small for now), before our body forces us to take it.
Do you feeel guilty for resting?
I do some of the time, but not as much as I used to. It is difficult to turn away from the things that “need” to be done, but they are always waiting for me when I return.
If you feel guilty, perhaps thinking about the ways in which rest can benefit you and your family would be helpful? Perhaps a reality check about how a lack of rest affects you is in order.
Do you need more rest?
- Are you snapping at the kids more often?
- Are you exhausted most of the time?
- Do you feel overwhelmed?
- Are you busier than you’d like to be?
- Do you yern for quiet moments?
If you answered yes to any of these, then you probably need more rest. There are plenty of other questions we could ask. But, I’m pretty sure you know if you need rest or not. And I venture to say that most of us do.
Also, may I invite you to read this post at Slow Your Home: Undeniable Power of Doing Nothing
What are the benefits of rest?
- Clearer mind
- Easier decision making
- Better focus
- More energy
- Less stress
- More patience
- More joy
- A closer relationship with God (time to reflect of Him awesome power and amazing grace)
- A greater appreciation of your blessings
These are just a few, the benefits are endless!
How can you get more rest?
As busy moms, this is truly a difficult task. Here are a few suggestions:
- Implement a quiet time
It might take some practise and training, but the effort will be well worth it.
This post from Power of Moms is great: Mommy’s Quiet Time 101
Possibly have special toys the kids play with only during this time, books on CD, etc.
- Ask for help
Trade off with a friend, hire a baby sitter, ask hubby for a regular time out/away/alone
- Have a movie night once a week
But mom doesn’t have to watch, she can go take a nap/bath/browse Pinterest/read a book/or whatver she wants!
- Would love to hear your ideas in the comments section below. . .
What do you do when you actually get some time for rest and relaxation?
Well, that’s up to you!
But, I highly, highly encourage you to spend some of that rest time outside. God’s creation is good for the soul; a great way to relax the mind and body.
It also might be beneficial to avoid screen time during your rest, since surfing the net and focusing on a screen can be draining and stimulating instead of restful.
How about a walk or some gentle stretching?
Maybe a nap or a bath?
All good things.
Lately I’ve been making time for rest most afternoons. It usually involves a cup of tea and a rocking chair and lasts for about 30 minutes.
How do you find time for rest? And what is your favorite restful/relaxing activity?
Latest posts by Stacy Karen (see all)
- Why I order Cleaners, Toothbrushes, and Razors through the Mail - September 25, 2016
- Make 10 Natural DIY Beauty Products in an Hour - September 24, 2016
- My New eCourse, The Healthy Living Bundle, & Special Bonuses from Me! - September 21, 2016